The desire to prevent tooth decay is one of the main reasons people visit the dentist at Durham Dental Group, in Durham NC.
This blog post highlights five things you need to know about cavities.
1. Cavities are also called caries. When a tooth is permanently damaged in the hard surface, tiny openings emerge. These little holes are cavities.
2. Factors that contribute to dental caries are:
- Frequent eating
- Consuming sugary beverages
- Oral bacteria
- Poor dental hygiene
3. Cavities may get so bad that you will see pits or holes in your teeth, but symptoms may be more subtle, such as sensitivity, pain when biting, or a toothache. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should call us right away to set up an appointment.
4. Cavities are more common among children, but that doesn’t mean adults don’t have to take precautions.
5. Avoiding cavities is a straight-forward process. Be sure to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, eat right, forego frequent snacking, and have regular dental checkups.
Contact Durham Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):