When you have a diseased tooth, you may think the only way to treat it is by getting it removed, but that’s not the case. Root canal therapy can save your abscessed tooth, which in turn protects your entire oral structure.
Here at Durham Dental Group, we provide root canal therapy, the area of dentistry concerning the pulp and tissue near the tooth root. We offer effective root canal therapy to provide relief when you have an abscessed tooth.
Do I Need Root Canal Therapy?
If you have a severe tooth infection, root canal therapy may be necessary. Your tooth can become infected because of decay or damage that reaches the pulp, or the blood vessels and nerves inside the tooth.
Root canal therapy may be necessary if you have some or all of these symptoms:
- Tooth pain
- Swelling in the gums near tooth pain
- Pimples on the gums that are recurring
- Severe tooth pain while eating
- Sensitivity to cold or hot food and beverages, even after eating
- Tooth discoloration
How Root Canal Therapy Can Help
Receiving treatment for an infected root canal provides a number of benefits, including the following:
- Freedom from Tooth Pain – If you experience pain from an infected root canal, this will likely be the best way treatment will benefit your life.
- Prevent Tooth Extraction – Because the infected pulp will be removed and your original tooth will be covered with a dental crown, tooth extraction won’t be necessary.
- Protect the Oral Structure – Since your original tooth will be saved, neighboring teeth will be less likely to shift around. The jawbone is also kept strong with the presence of the original tooth.
- Improved Appearance – If your tooth became discolored from the tooth infection, a dental crown can improve the appearance.
- Relatively Simple Treatment – You may have heard negative things about root canal therapy, but advances in technology and dental practices have made it a fairly simple treatment. Anesthesia is also available to help provide total comfort.
Contact Durham Dental Group to discover how we can serve you! We provide the quality root canal therapy you need to have improved oral health and total comfort.